Friday, November 11, 2022

Organizers made of cardboard

When I made the boxes to put on the shelving unit, I also made some storage trays, they are a practical option for storage, made of cardboard and can be made in any size.

I have some that I use as drawer organizers, but this time I wanted to make two to put in the entryway, and in both cases I needed them to have specific measurements, instead of looking for cardboard boxes that fit, I made them in the size I needed.

Here are two examples of drawers with organizers made like this, since they are inside the drawers I didn't bother to wrap them, the only finish I did was to hot glue a strip of cardboard on top to cover the corrugation of the card.

 

 

 

 

 

 

They are very easy to make, I just needed to take the measurements so I knew they fit where I needed them, then I cut the cardboard to the size needed, and used hot glue to glue the box, I used this because it dries very quickly. To reinforce, I papered the corners with strips of paper and white glue diluted with a little water and after it was dry I covered it with wallpaper, so they are nice to look at and have a good finish.

If you don’t pick them up you don’t even realize it is cardboard, they look made of wood but they weight a lot less and are easier to do, you don’t need special tools and the process is  a lot cleaner then it would be with wood.

I was only going to make two trays but when I tried the larger tray where I needed it, I saw that it was too tight (I will use it as a drawer) so I ended up making another slightly smaller tray and so I had three.

I decided to line them using three different methods, two of them are ideal for lining trays that will be exposed since they have few joints, the third method I used to line the tray that will serve as a drawer, because the side with the best finish will be the front of the drawer, leaving the cutouts hidden. Unfortunately I lost same footage of the video I made with this 3 method, so for this one I will not be posting a video.

Method 1



Method 2

This method is a little more difficult because you start from the inside, but the result is a tray on which the paper design is continuous, with a very good finish.

When I was finishing I noticed that in the last two corners the paper did not line up well with the box, this happened because when I stretched the paper it slipped, this meant that in one of the corners the card was not covered by the paper, the solution was to make a patch with some paper.



No comments:

Post a Comment