Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Foldable box carrier

Another one of my crazy but useful ideas, I needed something that allowed me to carry a big box and still have a free hand, this was what I come up with, a foldable fabric carrier.

When I have this crazy ideas I like to start by making a prototype, as proof of concept, to see if it works how I want it, or if it needs more work, in this cases I reuse fabric that I have stored and don’t mind ruining, like old sheets, this time I’m using a tablecloth, it has some stains on it, if the prototype is approved I can buy fabric and make a new one.

I chose to share now because this way you can see that you can make it using what you already have without having to buy fabric.

I usually don’t share the measurements because most of the things I do are based on my needs, and may not be the right size for other people but in this case I’ll leave them below.

Length of the carrier – 1 m

Width of the center part – 45 cm

Width of the sides – 18 cm

Bias width – 5 cm

Handles – 40 cm x 2,5 cm each (you will need a strip of fabric with a width of 10 cm)

You can reuse something to do it, you can combine several fabrics or use a single piece of fabric you just have to fold the sides, in this case you will need around 80 cm.

This measurements are without seam allowance, you can chose how much to add for that.

It’s better to use a non stretchy fabric and remember that it is foldable so the thicker the fabric the bulkier the carrier will be.

I’ve used a piece of elastic has a closure when it is folded but you can use chose to close it any other way, like using snap buttons , Velcro, or making a pocket to store it. 

I used snap buttons but you can substitute those with velcro or even buttons, in that case you will need to do the buttonholes.

As always this is just my way of doing it, you can do it however you chose to.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment