Thursday, January 26, 2023

3 in 1 bag

Small bag / purse

Yet another versatile project with several different uses, this time a three-in-one bag. It's a shoulder bag that transforms into an ecobag or backpack and completely made with reused materials, all the elements used were taken from other pieces.


As a base material I used a piece of lining fabric and two pillowcases that I had at home and that were never used, but they were a good quality fabric and add an interesting pattern, I still had some pillowcase fabric left over to make something else.  

 

Big bag / Ecobag

The leaf appliqué I put on just to give it a little fun because the blue fabric was very simple but it is completely optional. I decided to match the leaf on both sides so that the appliqué is always visible and because the bag is not lined, so the appliqué does not have a reverse side. 

I chose not to put any lining so that the bag is light and can be folded easily and without making too much bulk, hence I opted for the French seam to hide the seams. I also matched the seam thread with the fabric to make it as inconspicuous as possible and not show the seams on the wrong side. But you can perfectly put a lining if that's your preference. 

Backpack

I have the habit of testing the pieces I'm making to see if they fit what I want and in this case when I tested the height of the straps before attaching them I thought it would be better if they were adjustable to be more versatile, this way the bag will do for both tall and short people, which would not happen otherwise. 

In any case, you can make the bag in any size you like, just keep to the proportions shown in the diagram 1.



Diagram 1 (without measuments)

I leave the diagram with measurements, they are not exactly the measurements I used because initially it would have fixed handles and therefore the body of the bag could not be too big to not run the risk of dragging it on the ground. I usually make the diagrams at the end of the work in order to be able to apply everything I learned when making the piece in the diagram, so when I drew the diagram I was already thinking that in the future I would make the bags with adjustable straps, so the bag in the diagram is bigger than the video.  

The measurements indicated in the diagram 2 are in centimeters and are the final measurements of the bag, the fabric measurements are indicated above the drawing and include a seam allowance of 1 cm. In the French seam I made the first seam with a margin of 0.7 cm and the second with 1 cm.

Diagram 2
Legend:

measumentes in centimeters

(a) height

(l) width


 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment