Thursday, July 25, 2024

6 in 1 wallet

After several months off I returned to creative sewing, this time with a 6 in 1 wallet.

I wanted to make a wallet that could carry essential items when I don't want to carry a purse but at the same time could be placed in the purse without making it too bulky so I wouldn't have to keep taking things out.

The original idea was to add the long removable strap to be able to carry the wallet over my shoulder or crossbody, but then I remembered that it could also be used around the waist like the bag I made to carry my cell phone when I go on my morning walks, and then I thought why not wear it around my neck like cell phone carriers? In the end I added the wrist strap and so it was a 6 in 1 wallet.

The materials I used were reused, an unused jacket, the rest of the fabric left over from the sleeves of the Japanese sleeved blouse I made a few weeks ago and a scrap left over from an ecobag, which by the way is in my plans to make a few more, I already bought the fabric, I just need to find time. The hardware was taken from other suitcases, or from lanyards.  

As a structure I used a thermo-adhesive interfacing that I had at home with glue on both sides, I initially bought it to make a hat and as it was one of the first things I made, I didn't really know how much I was going to need so I had a lot left over and I've been using it for small projects.

Unfortunately, my sewing machine doesn't like to sew on interfacing with glue, firstly because the presser foot doesn't slide, to avoid this I usually place a sheet of paper on top of the piece to sew, and secondly because it skips stitches. Whenever possible, I avoid sewing on the interfacing, I could have avoided this if I had used a larger seam allowance and when joining the lining with the outside I had left a larger space between the interfacing and the seam, that way, after turning it out, there would be an empty margin without structurer where it could have been sewed.
 

Dimensions:  

Wallet: 18.5cm (width) * 10.5cm (height) 

 Zipper pocket: 14 cm (width) * 7 cm (height)  

Wrist strap: 23cm * 1cm  

Long strap: extendable from 66 cm to 1.20 m 

 

If you are interested, you can download the photo containing the patterns and measurements, you have the option in pdf or word so you can translate if necessary since it is in Portuguese.


No comments:

Post a Comment