Sunday, September 25, 2022

Jewelry organizer

When I started making jewelry I came across the problem of how to arrange it so that it was easy to choose what I wanted to use, I'm not a person to put everything in a box in a pile, besides getting everything tangled up you can never find what you want to wear.

The solution I found was to nail a cork board to the wall of the wardrobe where I put several pins and there I hung the necklaces, bracelets and earrings. Items that could not be hung, such as rings, were kept in a drawer on a tray.

In the house where I live now I don't have drawers in the wardrobe, so I had to find another solution, I decided to make a wooden tray that I lined with velvet paper and where I have several smaller trays with dividers where I keep small pieces like rings, pendants, pins and bracelets. This tray was placed inside the wardrobe in the area separating two bars, an area that would not otherwise be used.  

To hang the necklaces, earrings and bracelets I also made an organizer in wood, where I placed hooks that allow me to hang a large number of pieces.

 

The creation process

The first step was to decide where I was going to place the vertical organizer, I chose the inner side of the wardrobe but I could have placed it on the outer side as well. Having defined the place, it was necessary to measure the space to know the maximum width and height it could have without interfering with the closing of the door and so that it could easily reach the pieces.  

To define the design of the organizer I thought about what I wanted to organize, and I chose to create three sections, at the top the long strands and at the bottom a section for the bracelets and a smaller one for the earrings. To make sure that the space was enough for this arrangement, I did a simulation on a table where I marked the size of the organizer and the various sections and then I arranged the pieces and adjusted the measurements until I reached the desired result.

To make the organizer I bought some 1 cm x 2 cm wooden slats that I cut and with them I made a rectangle in the defined measurements.  

For the interior partitions, it was just a matter of measuring the space and cutting the slat to size. For the earring divider I used an aluminum tube that I already had, which I cut into several pieces, to fit it I drilled holes in the wood. 

The bottom is made of plywood that I had as leftovers from the kitchen furniture. To fix everything I used staples, but I could also have used nails, screws or glue. I painted the organizer white and covered the bottom with velvet paper, I just don't remember if I glued it before or after putting the dividers, I think before it makes the job easier but it can get painted. 

Then it was just a matter of putting the hooks and supports to hang in the wardrobe.

The horizontal organizer was made in the same way but without dividers, because I already had the trays with dividers from the times when I participated in craft fairs, it is placed on shelf supports that I put on the sides and bottom.


 

 

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For those who want to put this idea into practice, here are some suggestions:  

If you don't want to make the wooden structure, look for a frame or a frame that has the measurements you need, remove the glass and replace it with a plywood board where you can nail or screw the hooks, make sure the plywood is thick enough to support the weight you are going to put on the hook.  

For the horizontal organizer, if you don't want to make the wooden structure, you can use a board, or even make the organizer with cardboard. For the partitions you can use small boxes or make the partitions to measure with cardboard.  

Since I mentioned the trays, here are some pictures of my jewelry transport case made of cardboard that had five trays inside, containing the various pieces in their displays, when necessary, I just had to take the trays out.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I still have this box but now it's for storing the instruction manuals, another example of reuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment