Sunday, October 30, 2022

Wrapping cardboard boxes with wallpaper

Continuing on the topic of cardboard boxes, it's time to talk about how to line large boxes, which due to their size don't allow using the method I showed earlier, for that I use one of the following options:

a) measure the perimeter of the box, mark the length of the paper leaving a margin and cut. Measure the height of the box by adding the margin twice (one for the top and one for the base) and cut the paper to this height. Apply the paper around the box, folding the edges. For a better finish, the bottom can also be lined.

b) measure the height of the box by adding twice the margin (one for the top and one for the base), mark on the paper and cut obtaining a sheet, repeat until you have enough sheets to wrap the box. Apply the paper around the box, folding the edges. For a better finish, the bottom can also be lined.

If the box is very large, it may be difficult to work with a very long paper, in which case option b) will be the best option, in this case if the paper to be used has a pattern, you have to consider whether you are going to match the design, if you are after cutting the first sheet you will have to cut the remainder so that the design of the second sheet matches that of the first, and so on.

This decision depends on the use that will be given to the box, if it is a box that is visible from all sides, the design should match, in my case my boxes will be used as drawers so only one side is visible, so I didn't bother to match the drawings, because the paper I had available was just enough to cover the boxes I had.


Unfortunately when I was halfway through lining the box I realized that I had made a mistake, I should have started applying the paper on one of the wider sides because those are the sides of the front of my "drawer" but I started on one side, I still tried to unglue the paper but it was too late, it was glued and if I were to force the paper it would deform or tear and worse than seeing the seams was to be left with an unfinished box. The mistake served me, in the following boxes I started to mark the paper and the side of the box where I was going to apply it.

 Here is the shelf with all the boxes.







No comments:

Post a Comment